My latest creative endeavor, to become a published writer, and the trials and tribulations.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Agent bites (in a good way)!

I have so much to tell!  An agency I submitted to about 2 weeks ago likes my work, and has read it and wants to represent me.  This agency also has a sister-partnership with a publishing company that publishes about 90% of what the agency submits. I am in the process of researching the publishing company as well as the agency and awaiting a contract from the agent.  The contract can be termintated after 90 days of no sell, or after a year.  Also, I have to get a professional critique of the book (which I have to pay for), and as I read up on this process, I see that this is normal. Once upon a time, agencies did this for you, but now they focus on selling your book and contract out the critiques.  A friend from college's sister is a book editor and I am talking to her about doing the critique, and I will also take a referral from the agency and compare them.

I have put the first 2 chapters of my book online at http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/book.asp?book_ID=11393. Feel free to read it and comment/rate what you read (you have to register to comment/rate). You can also send me comments personally.  I am always open to constructive criticism and am interested in many "eyes" seeing this work and offering their perspectives.

I have been processing all of this information about book 1 that I haven't spent much time on book 2 lately. Also, I'm at a bit of a standstill because I need to do some research about the part of the book I'm on before I can go on.

On a more personal note, I'm getting frustrated that all my hard work in the pool isn't making a dent in me.  As much as I like swimming and I certainly feel different, I feel like I should be making some progress. The only progress made was from all the walking in London last month and honestly, my legs/feet/knees can't take that on a regular basis. I was taking a constant stream of ibuprofen by the end of the week and could still barely walk to the gate at Heathrow when I left. 

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to just wait until 2014 when I can get health insurance and have gastric bypass or lap band.  Unfortuately, this means 4 more years of being alone and being past the point of hope of ever having a kid (I will be too old then). I guess I'm not meant for that.

Going to small claims court on June 22.  Should be interesting.

Recommended viewing:  http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/ on Starz Channel.  This is an 8-hour miniseries of the book by Ken Follett.  It's an amazing book and promises to be an amazing series as well!  And of course, it features an impossibly hot monk!

No comments:

Post a Comment