My latest creative endeavor, to become a published writer, and the trials and tribulations.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The London Blog #3

April 27, 2010
11:50pm
(Written last night, posted this morning)

Just got home from the theatre and am readying myself for bed. Went to meet Alicia from Spain early, thinking I would wander around the neighborhood for a bit, but when I got off the tube, two people in a row gave me bad directions and sent me the opposite direction! Oops! I walked about 6 miles out of my way (3 miles the wrong way, 3 miles back!) and finally gave up on finding it and hailed a cab. Of course, it was right around the corner from where I was. But I got there on time and met Alicia! She had 3 friends with her from Spain, and only one of them spoke English pretty well. It was quite comical and amusing attempting to translate for each other, but they were lovely ladies and we had a good time!


“Private Lives”! Wow! It really was incredibly well-done! Kim Cattrall gave me the decent performance I would have expected from her. She didn’t wow me, she was just decent.
Simon Paisley-Day was very good.
Wasn’t crazy about Lisa Dillon, but I think I just don’t like her character. I dunno, she seemed disengaged sometimes.
Matthew WOWed me! He really was beyond incredible and stole the show, and I swear I am not saying this because I’m biased; I do know quite a bit what I’m talking about! I will admit there were a few moments where it seemed he was rushing his responses a bit too much to be listening carefully, but he really was spectacularly good! He really seems to be in his element in the theatre. He’s barefoot throughout the second act, and all I could do was stare at his gigantic feet!
The chemistry between Matthew and Kim is amazing. At one point, when they decide to run away together, they both were practically in tears, which I loved! I would have to guess though that last night wasn't their best performance - timing was off a bit and they were rushing/not listening all the time. There's always the danger after so many performances of things going stale and I think they were all suffering from a bit of that last night - especially the women, and I could tell Matthew was fighting that. Still, it was excellent and I can't wait to see it again!
After the play, we waited at the stage door for nearly an hour for Matthew. He came out with two friends and he looked very tired – to the point where his speech was a bit slurred (was he drunk? He might have been!) Oh, and even though he looked very tired, he looked really gorgeous in a pink shirt, brown blazer and tan pants. He is even hotter in person, he looks a lot younger and he really is a huge guy! Anyway, at the stage door, he was so gracious and patient with everyone: he got lots of gifts and did lots of pictures and autographs. I didn’t get an autograph or a pic with him (my camera batteries went dead after 2 pics of him and I don’t care too much for autographs), but I am going back 2x more, so I will do it later. I did give him my gift though (a CD-Hush by Yo-Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin, which I think he will enjoy listening to with his kids), and he thanked me and this woman from Germany that I had been talking with earlier tried to tell him, "She came all the way from Los Angeles!" but he didn't hear her (I was glad he didn't). Then one woman told him “You are the only actor”, basically telling him there was nobody better than him, etc., etc. (she’s right, of course!) and he said, “Did you really think it was good tonight? Even on a bad night, huh?” So, that confirms my suspicion that it was sort of an "off" performance for him, for whatever reason. But even though he was having a bad night, he was still brilliant onstage and a complete gentleman at the stage door! I have so much respect for him! Also, all the other fans I met at the stage door (there were about 20 of them) were very nice.

Now I will go to bed for the first time in about 36 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment